Download and Complete NEW PATIENT INTAKE FORMS below to register as a new patient **Please allow approximately 20 minutes to fill out these forms.
1) What is required for your initial appointment at MedLeaf Rx?
Follow steps above and complete NEW PATIENT INTAKE FORMS.
2) What is the process for obtaining a NY Medical Marijuana certification at MedLeaf Rx?
Every patient needs to be evaluated by the doctor. An initial visit is about one hour in length. We will review your condition and determine if you qualify under New York State Medical Marijuana Law.
• If you do qualify, then you will be registered through the NY Dept. of Health and provided with one of our Certificates, allowing you to use marijuana legally in the state of New York.
• If you do not qualify, then our practitioner will outline a plan for how you may qualify in the future.
In order to qualify for Medical Marijuana Certification in New York, we will need to review medical records supporting your qualifying condition. Your medical records do not have to be available at the time of your appointment. When you book your appointment we will provide you with medical record releases to obtain your records. During your evaluation we will determine if additional records are needed and we will obtain your medical records from your other provider(s).
3) Will insurance cover my appointment and evaluation?
Many plans will reimburse some portion of our fee or apply it to your deductible. At the time of your visit, you may request a superbill to submit to your insurance company. This superbill does not mention Medical Marijuana. Insurance providers classify our medical practice as “out of network”. We do not participate in any health care insurance plans. We are considered "out of network" providers.
4) What Medical Conditions Make a Patient Eligible for Medical Marijuana in New York? • Cancer • HIV/AIDS • Inflammatory Bowel Disease • Chronic Pain • Seizures • Epilepsy • Neuropathies • Huntington's Disease • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) • Parkinson's Disease • Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord • Multiple sclerosis
5) What’s the Process for a Patient to Become Certified to Receive Medical Marijuana Under the Program?
Patients apply to NYS DOH to become a certified patient.
Certification expires after one year from the date the doctor signs it, or the doctor can specify an earlier termination date.
If the patient is terminally ill (as certified by their doctor), the registration doesn’t expire until patient’s death.
If the patient is under 21, a parent or legal guardian can make the application as the designated caregivers.
If the application is approved, NYS DOH will issue the patients registry card that will include any limitations regarding forms or dosage made by the certifying doctor.
6) What Do Caregivers Need to Do to be Able to Help a Certified Patients?
A patient can designate up to two caregivers
If the patient is under 21, not allowed caregivers other than a legal guardian or parent unless a case if made to DOH that no legal guardian or parent is available
Caregivers must register with DOH to obtain a registry identification card.
7) Are Patients, Caregivers, and People in the Industry Protected from Discrimination?
Patients, caregivers, practitioners, or employees of registered organizations “shall not be denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to, they shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, solely for the certified medical use or manufacture of marihuana, or for any other action or conduct in accordance with this title.”
Patients, practitioners and employees of registered organizations are also protected under the human rights law (housing, employment, public accommodations).
Patients, practitioners and employees of registered organizations are protected in custody and family law proceedings.
Registry information is not subject to public disclosure laws (i.e., it must be kept confidential).
8) Why do I need a medical marijuana card? The Benefits of the Medical Marijuana ID card are:
Photo identification accepted by law enforcement
Safe, Secure, and LEGAL
9) How do I chose the right doctor to help me ?
When choosing a doctor, make sure to find one that will collaborate with your other providers (with your written permission only), make referrals, write letters in legal situations if needed. Please be very wary of any physician who only spends only 10 minutes with you or does not review your medical records and labs thoroughly. The physician must be willing to work with you every step of the way to find the correct dosage that works best for you with minimal side effects. Certifications from physicians that do not adhere to state law will not hold up in court.
10) What is the consultation fee at MedLeaf Rx? FREE phone consultations. If you do not qualify, you do not pay. Your medical records will be reviewed and evaluated to see if your medical case qualifies under state law. If you qualify, an appointment will be made for you to see the doctor and a new patient fee will be charged upon your initial visit.